Welcome to the Healthy Families forums!

This is a space to ask questions, share experiences and support each other. Find a relevant thread or start your own!

Before you can post or reply in these forums, please join our online community and have a read of the community rules. Forum membership is open to anyone residing in Australia.

  • share on Facebook
  • share on Twitter
  • Print page

Topic: Husband is on work cover and we are applying for impairment lump sum

3 posts, 0 answered
  1. Samvince
    Samvince avatar
    3 posts
    15 February 2019

    My husband suffers from mental heaolth and has now suffering from ptsd due to been attacked at his work place . I was wondering if there is anyone else that is going through the same thing eg ; impairment payment and has been assessed etc .

  2. geoff
    Life Member
    • Awarded by beyondblue for providing outstanding peer support to the online community over a period of 3+ years.
    • A member of beyondblue's blueVoices community
    geoff avatar
    13475 posts
    16 February 2019 in reply to Samvince

    Hi Samvince, welcome to the forums.

    I am really sorry for what's happened as I too was attacked at work so I understand what you are going through although I didn't have any personal insurance, it was only through W/C.

    I was assessed by doctors galore and then had to wait 18 months or so until it was settled.

    Can I suggest that you are in contact with a lawyer for a couple of reasons, firstly that a price will be offered to you to accept, which is way below what you deserve, but a solicitor will handle this for you, secondly any doctor, psychologist counselling visits will be paid by W/C.

    What you have to do is give the doctor/psychologist your W/C number and they will send the bill to W/C, this means you don't have to pay yourself.

    If you need medication then send the bill once again to W/C, if need be, let your solicitor do this for you.

    I'd like to hear back from you.


    1 person found this helpful
  3. Summer Rose
    Valued Contributor
    • A special award for members who go above and beyond to support others here on the forums
    • A member of beyondblue's blueVoices community
    Summer Rose avatar
    1172 posts
    16 February 2019 in reply to Samvince

    Hi Samvince

    I am really sorry to hear that your husband was attacked at work and that he is so ill.

    I have never made a WC claim but I manage them in my own business. I may be able to help with specific questions on process, keeping in mind that every case is different.

    Geoff is spot on: you need a lawyer. I would choose a firm with WC experience, as apposed to a local lawyer. Some of these firms work on the "no win/no pay" principle. And it is possible to receive funds for your legal fees on top of your settlement.

    You are starting a complex, lengthy process but it is worker friendly and with the right guidance I'm sure you csn get through it.

    Best of luck and feel free to ask question as you move through the process.

    Kind thoughts to you

    1 person found this helpful

Stay in touch with us

Sign up below for regular emails filled with information, advice and support for you or your loved ones.

Sign me up