Welcome to the Healthy Families forums!

This is a space to ask questions, share experiences and support each other. Find a relevant thread or start your own!

Before you can post or reply in these forums, please join our online community and have a read of the community rules. Forum membership is open to anyone residing in Australia.

  • share on Facebook
  • share on Twitter
  • Print page

Topic: Partner admitted

2 posts, 0 answered
  1. TJayAre
    TJayAre avatar
    1 posts
    26 February 2019
    My partner has just been admitted to hospital for a mental health assessment as he's been having suicidal thoughts. He's asked me to call his work for him in the morning to let them know he won't be in, I've just got no idea what to say to them or who to talk to. I know it's really none of their business but obviously I have to say something. Hes only just started working there and he's worried they're going to fire him (he's still on probation). I just can't think straight, I don't know what to do, I don't know what to say. I just want him to be ok. But I need to do this for him and be strong.

    Also is there anyway we can get some kind of financial support, I'm currently on maternity leave so I don't get enough money to support the both of us. Please help I don't know what to do. He's a New Zealand citizen that's been living and working here for more than 10 years. I know centerlink don't have many options for nz citizens, so I don't know where else we can get financial support from.
    1 person found this helpful
  2. Purple People Eater
    blueVoices member
    • A member of beyondblue's blueVoices community
    Purple People Eater avatar
    36 posts
    26 February 2019 in reply to TJayAre

    Hi TJayAre

    I am so sorry you are going through this. It is really scary when our partner is suicidal. I'm sorry no one could give you an answer early enough before you had to ring to let them know he can't come in.

    You may be able to get some financial support. But this is not my area of expertise.

    I recommend calling Mind Carer Helpline for support and information. "If you are caring for someone with a mental illness and need support, call our Carer Helpline on 1300 554 660" They have been very helpful to me and others.

    1 person found this helpful

Stay in touch with us

Sign up below for regular emails filled with information, advice and support for you or your loved ones.

Sign me up